Last Sunday, I had a bakery stall at Japan Festival 2012 in Wellington.
It was my first time to have my bakery. I made 12 kinds of, about 500 pieces of bread and buns a day.
It is Japan festival, so I made sweet pastry buns and savory buns. Apple custard is one of buns I made for the festival.
This recipe, you need to make apple preserve at first.
And the dough willed with custard cream is quite difficult to handle. But once put the it into the muffin cup, and bake it, it would be popping up.
Apple preserve2 apples (peel and cut into dice)
2 tablespoon of Sugar
1 tablespoon of Lemon juice
In a small sauce pan, heat apple, sugar and lemon juice with low heat, and stir constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in apple and simmer until apples are transpired.
Apple Custard Roll
300g Bread flour
4g Instant dried yeast
15g Unsalted butter
1. In the mixer or bread machine, combine the all dough ingredients except butter. Knead it 10 minute. Add butter, and knead it another 8 minutes, it can be stretched a paper thin“windowpane.
2. Transfer the dough to a covered container and proof it at warm room temperature for 1 - 1.5 hours , until it becomes double size.
3. Pour the dough onto floured counter, then deflate it, knead briefly. Preshape it into a rough ball and let it rest, cover, for 20 minutes.
Roll it over about 20 x 25cm with the rolling pin. Get the air out from the dough.
Apply custard cream on the dough. Make 1cm space on the top for sealing.
Put apple preserve on it.
2. Roll it over. Seal it tightly, then roll it and make it a cylinder.
Transfer and place them into the muffin cups. It would be hard, because custard cream is sticky.
5. Place them at warm place (40℃) for 40 minutes until it becomes 1.5 size. And preheat oven at 190℃.
6. Bake it at 180℃ for 15minutes. Reduce into 160℃ for 5 - 10 minutes.
It is placed at Yeastspotting.