I made the soft Pretzels. Real German style pretzels are dipped in caustic soda water before baking. But it is dangerous stuff at home. It could be scar and blind, poison.
Alternative, I used baking soda. Boil pretzels in the mixture of baking soda and water before bake. After that, sprinkle rock salt, then bake them without proof.
I have them with butter for my breakfast.
My recipe, it makes large 6 pieces. (85 g each)
(make 6 pieces)
300 g Bread flour
10 g Sugar
5 g Salt
1 Tea spoon of Dry instant yeast
180 g water (lukewarm)
20 g Unsalted butter (soften)
750 ml water
2 Table spoon of baking soda
1. In a bread machine or stand mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add lukewarm water and mix it until it becomes smooth, for 8 minutes.
Add butter, knead it until it becomes smooth and elastic, for 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the dough in a bowl and cover it. Place it at warm place (30℃) for 1 hour until it get double size.
3. Take the dough out on the floured counter. Deflate it briefly, divide it into 85 g each pieces.
Let them rest with cover to avoid to dry for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, Put 750 ml water in a non-aluminum pot. Add baking soda and combine well. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer.
Make the dough about 40 cm long like below.
Make it pretzel knot. Attach edge parts tightly. Put some water on the parts if you need.
5. Gently dip 1 pretzel into the simmer mixture water, cook it 15 seconds. Turn it over and cook 15 seconds the other side as well. Place it on the oil sprayed wire rack.
Repeat the other pretzels.
6. Preheat oven at 200℃. Put baking sheet on the baking tray.
Transfer them on the prepared baking tray.
Sprinkle rock salt.
7. Bake at 200 ℃ for 12 - 15 minutes until they become golden brown color.
8. Cool them down on the wire rack.
It is placed at Yeastspotting.